Thursday 17 August 2017

For TTP, What Should I Watch For?

I have had Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (TTP) three times. Each time the symptoms built up slowly. Normal symptoms you would get with cold, such as a headache, dark urine, stomachache. Symptoms from a bad day such as fatigue or a backache. Everyday symptoms such as a bloody nose or a bruise. 

The issue is you may get many symptoms over a few days. The involvement of many symptoms, may be a buildup of a bigger issue such as TTP. The reason is the blood is bad, the platelets are gone and organs start to have consequences. You need to watch for what is REALLY not normal. 

For my latest trip down TTP lane, I started on vacation with my cousin. We were boating, tubing, swimming, maybe even drank a beer or two. At the end of the day I was tired, sunstroke? Thought of having a nap. Skipped dinner, had back lower pain all night. In the morning, had diarrhea four times and threw up toast from breakfast. All of these items were not normal. My wife arrived later in the morning and saw bruising on my elbows. I lifted my shirt and saw bruising on my stomach and we immediately knew TTP was back. 

We jumped in the car and headed for the hospital. I quickly texted my cousin to advise about TTP. In our following conversations he asked "were there any symptoms we should have seen?" 

Here is my list of symptoms we are going to watch for: 

  • Fatigue 
  • Eye floaters 
  • Dark Urine 
  • Diarrhea 
  • Bruises 
  • Backache (indicating possible kidney problems) 
  • Headache 
  • Bloody Nose 
  • Petechiae (pinpoint-sized red or purple dots on the skin) 
  • Paleness or jaundice (a yellowish color of the skin or whites of the eyes) 
  • Shortness of breath 
  • Speech changes or loss of words 

Thanks, Bruce.
@BruceFightsTTP 

No comments:

Post a Comment